Blog Traffic - Page Views

Translate

PLEASE CLICK LIKE - Keep the Netty Mac Train Chuggin'

Friday, May 20

THE RASCALS - Groovin


Today in 1967 The Young Rascals hit No. 1 on the US Singles Chart with their song 'Groovin'. The song was an interpretation of a new style of Afro-Cuban with instruments such as a conga, Cuban-based Bass Guitar and a harmonica. The style was a far cry from The Young Rascals groove (pun intended! lol); so much so that Atlantic Records wasn't going to release the song. Well it's a good thing they did, the song hit the charts immediately and went gold in less than a month!




The Young Rascals named themselves after the U.S. TV show - have you ever had the opportunity to view or listen to the show? I listen to the program every now and then on a local radio station (QR770) that plays old radio shows every night from 11pm - 1am.    It was quite funny for its time - so wholesome; we could sure use a little more wholesome today now couldn't we?!?! Just for shitz & giggles - I have inserted a video that features 'Spanky' - the lead character of the program.



When I was looking at the stats on 'Groovin' to write this Blog I came across something that I had never seen before: the song "even" hit No.3 on the Black Billboard Songs Chart". Come on! Black chart? I must have been under a rock or something because it does make sense that the chart existed in consideration of the day and age - it just appals me to no end! Oh man, it is such a good thing I was not a teenager in the 60's I likely would have spent a great deal of my time in the klink as a protester!! The Rascals actually had a reputation for their ratial intolerance resulting in refusing to tour on segregated Bills! YAY! Good on THEM!! They wrote a song as well to express their standpoint:



'Groovin' is included as one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll and subsequently the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. That didn't take long hey? Oops, did I say that out loud?  'Groovin also received a Grammy Hall of Fame Award. As recent as 2010 The Rascals were inducted into the Hit Parade Hall of Fame - atta go boyz!! This is the part where I completely deviate and take you up to 1996. Pato Banton covered 'Groovin' and took it to the top of the UK Charts. YAW-MON! I really dig this version;





 Please share on Facebook - Link is below

Your feedback / comments would ROCK!

 I am so very proud to update the Netty Mac Train now has:  22, 960 FANS in 98 Country's

Cheerz & have a HUGE day!!
Chow Mein Noodle!!!!

Netty xo

No comments:

Post a Comment